About Maria Mercati
- She did this by drawing on three of the world's most ancient, powerful and alternative medicine and complementary therapies - Traditional Chinese Medicine, Thai and Indonesian soft tissue massage and joint manipulations.
- Her aim has been to integrate the most effective bodywork techniques
- Her speciality is in combining her unique Acupuncture treatments with Tui Na to create some of the most powerful medicine in the world today.
- Maria Mercati is the leading exponent of these in the West and students come from all over the world to benefit from her individualised and highly effective training style.
- BA (Hons) 1994
- Diploma Shiatsu (Bristol School of Shiatsu - 3 year course) 1994
- Certs. Tui Na (Shanghai College of Traditional Chinese Medicine -TCM - 4 weeks) 1992
- Certs. Tui Na (Shanghai College of TCM 2 weeks) January 1993
- Cert. Acupuncture (Xiangshan Hospital of TCM Shanghai - 7 weeks) May 1993
- Cert. Acupuncture (Weihai Hospital of TCM - 3 weeks) 1996
- Cert. Acupuncture (Xian College of TCM - 6 weeks) 1997
- Cert. Master Tung's - Robert Chu 2010. Cert. Dr Tan's Balance Method 2014
- Certs. Advanced Acupuncture (Shangdong College of TCM) 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013
- Cert. Foundation in Counselling (Gloucestershire College - 1 year) 1989
- ITEC Holistic Massage with A&P - 1991
- Massage training Institute (MTI) 1992
- ITEC Tutor Recognition & Registration (1994)
- Cert. Adult Education Teacher (Gloucestershire College - 1 year) 2002
Accolade for teacher and practitioner
Maria Mercati a leading teacher of Tui Na massage based in Cheltenham, England, has been nominated by the European Union of Women in 1996:
- Those chosen receive the European Women of Achievment Award.
- The awards are given annually to three or four women in each European country.
- Previous recipients have mainly been from large companies, universities and the media.
- Congratulations to Maria whose work in promoting Tui Na massage and complementary medicine has been recognised.
Maria is a best selling author.
Her books "Step-by-Step Tui Na" published by Gaia Books and "Thai Massage" published by Marshall are definitive texts. Her third book "Tui Na for a Healthy Brighter Child" presents Tui Na for babies (0-6 years) in a uniquely understandable format for Western mothers. Her books have been translated into 12 languages.
She has produced and directed a series of videos (filmed by professionals) to accompany her books.
Maria has demonstrated on television.
BBC1- Pebble Mill's Good Morning programme, GMTV on ITV, Cable Live TV and on Granada Breeze and has been interviewed for radio programmes.
Facts on how Maria's philosophy came about
Maria is the first person to develop a system of integrated bodywork
based on Chinese, Thai and Indonesian massage and manipulation and
create the phrase "ORIENTAL BODYWORK " in 1995.
She is the world leader in combining oriental therapies and acupuncture in a unique and powerful fusion for the control of pain and the promotion and maintenance of good health. Maria Mercati is the most authoritative and innovative teacher in this field today.
Maria's method is unique. The methods she uses and teaches have been developed from her many periods of study in China, Indonesia and Thailand working with the leading experts in their respective fields.
She furthered her knowledge and refined her techniques under several prominent Chinese doctors at the famous Yue-Yang hospital in Shanghai, and hospitals in Weihai and Xian. In Thailand she studied at the sacred Wat Pho temple in Bangkok and at the massage hospital in Chiang Mai.
Indonesian massage became part of her life during her four year period in Bandung where she was taught massage by traditional and blind experts. She brings a wealth of practical experience to her courses, having achieved outstanding results with thousands of patients.
Maria trained the rest of the family and they all became involved, on a professional basis. The family massages each other; often at the end of the working day.
Maria is the originator of BODYHARMONICS, an integrated approach to therapy, which blends Oriental therapies - Chinese, Thai and Indonesian Massage and Acupuncture with Perceptive Listening in a unique fusion to promote health and harmony.