If you are planning a new career that involves massage as a therapeutic treatment you will need massage certification. This is not only to give your prospective clients confidence in your skills as a masseur, but to enable you to get the all important insurance.
Massage Certification is provided when you pass your exams with Bodyharmonics
The BODYHARMONICS® Centre of Oriental Medicine was founded by Maria Mercati in 1992 to provide treatment and training to the highest possible standards in traditional Oriental healing systems, including Chinese massage (Tui Na), Thai massage and Indonesian massage. Massage certification is automatic when passing one of these Bodyharmonics courses.
The solid experience behind Bodyharmonics massage certification
Maria's methods have been developed from her many periods of study in
China (12 times) Indonesia and Thailand working with the leading experts
in their respective fields since the late 1970's. She has been immersed
in Oriental medicine for 30 years.
Indonesian massage became part of her life during her four year period in Bandung, where she was taught by traditional & blind experts. She furthered and refined her Tui Na massage techniques under several prominent Chinese doctors at the famous Yue-Yang hospital in Shanghai, and hospitals in Weihai, Shanxxi College of TCM, and the Shandong University Hospital of TCM. In Thailand she studied at the Wat Pho temple in Bangkok and at the massage hospital in Chiang Mai.
She has achieved outstanding results with thousands of patients and brings this wealth of practical experience to all her courses.
- BA (Hons) 1994
- Diploma Shiatsu (Bristol School of Shiatsu - 3 year course) 1994
- Certs. Tui Na (Shanghai College of Traditional Chinese Medicine -TCM - 4 weeks) 1992
- Certs. Tui Na (Shanghai College of TCM 2 weeks) January 1993
- Cert. Acupuncture (Xiangshan Hospital of TCM Shanghai - 7 weeks) May 1993
- Cert. Acupuncture (Weihai Hospital of TCM - 3 weeks) 1996
- Cert. Acupuncture (Xian College of TCM - 6 weeks) 1997
- Cert. Master Tung's - Robert Chu 2010. Cert. Dr Tan's Balance Method 2014
- Certs. Advanced Acupuncture (Shangdong College of TCM) 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013
- Cert. Foundation in Counselling (Gloucestershire College - 1 year) 1989
- ITEC Holistic Massage with A&P - 1991
- Massage training Institute (MTI) 1992
- ITEC Tutor Recognition & Registration (1994)
- Cert. Adult Education Teacher (Gloucestershire College - 1 year) 2002
Your massage training at Bodyharmonics will directly benefit from her experiences as if you had done the Eastern rounds yourself without all the stress and expense. Maria will answer your questions and share her insights with you, including advice on running a successful practice.
Will a Bodyharmonics massage course allow me to practice professionally?
Students who have gained Bodyharmonics massage certification (diploma) can have membership & insurance from the Acupuncture-Acutherapy Council which is a voluntary regulatory body with a rigid code of safe and effective practice.
Maria Mercati is currently representing the Acupuncture and Acutherapy Council at the Acupuncture Stake Holders Group meetings and at the Microsystems Acupuncture Regulatory Group . They are both planning and co-ordinating the future regulation of acupuncture and Oriental massage in the UK.
At present there is no government legislation in the UK covering massage certification. Mr Andrew Lansley, the Secretary of State for Health made a statement in the House of Commons on 16th February 2011. He gave details of the Government's approach to the regulation of Acupuncture, Herbal Medicine and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). Download the PDF now
Going forward for Massage Certification
- After completing and passing Acupuncture Course Module 1 which is based on a foundation in TCM & Tui Na, you are in a position to start your new career and earn some money. The Tui Na foundation diploma is vital to getting patients throught the door.
- This experience will also set you up for Acupuncture Course Module 2 - Tui Na Masters and Acupuncture Course Module 3 (should you wish to go this far).
- The combined cost of all three modules is £4,625 (A&P
& exam fees extra)
Two weeks clinical practice is recommended in a Chinese Hospital.
- BAac accredited courses are not accredited by government legislation but privately by BAac itself. They are three year courses, based on university term time tables. They are highly academic and theoretical. Invariably a very small proportion of the total time allotted to these courses involves actual clinical practice treating patients and this usually takes place in the third year.
- The cost for these three year courses is about £15,000 - £20,000
Oriental Medicine is evolving in the UKMaria's pioneering work has been to develop a system of integrated Oriental bodywork (massage) with acupuncture.
The result has been a unique and powerful fusion for the control of pain and the promotion and maintenance of good health. This ground breaking work has probably made her the most authoritative and innovative teacher in this field today.
Students come from all over the world to benefit from her individualised and highly effective training style which you will personally benefit from on her courses - and so will the patients you subsequently treat of course....
Why do Maria's qualifications make massage certification special?
Apart from the three year British Acupuncture Council courses, most other courses now teaching Tui Na, Thai or Acupuncture have copied and modified her original ideas on course structures. In their literature, they copiously borrow from those writings about oriental therapies.
Maria Mercati has built a national and international reputation and recognition for Bodyharmonics qualifications as follows:
The World Federation of Chinese Medicine (WFCM)
Maria Mercati was invited to attend the establishment conference of WFCM in Beijing in September 2003 where she was elected as a council member for the United Kingdom. The objectives of the organisation are:
- to promote understanding, unity and cooperation among academic groups of Chinese Medicine throughout the world
- to improve the standard and protect Chinese Medicine to help gain access to mainstream medicine to make contributions to the health of mankind
The BODYHARMONICS School was a founding member of EURO-TCM*
Maria Mercati was involved as a committee member for 3 years in both ECO-TCM (European colleges of TCM) in helping to standardize Chinese Massage (Tui Na) and Acupuncture.
For the duration of its existence, EURO TCM worked to further the unification
of educational programs and procedures for teaching, examining and accrediting
TCM in Europe. EURO TCM considered the Bodyharmonics Tui Na courses the
best training available in Europe.
(*TCM is defined as the Chinese way of doing Tui Na, Acupuncture, Chinese Herbs & Qigong )
International Therapy Examination Council (ITEC)
Maria Mercati was appointed by ITEC in 1997 for a five year period to write the original syllabuses & examination papers for Tui Na, Thai & Indonesian massage as a pilot scheme to establish standards for these Oriental bodywork treatments.
The course materials, structure and exam papers are the copyright of the BODYHARMONICS Centre. Other ITEC affiliated colleges and schools do not offer Tui Na or Thai courses based on these syllabuses.